Me (looking out of the window): Hey, it’s raining.
Hubby: No, it’s not.
Hubby: No need. My phone is always right!!
Yup, that’s the man I’m married too.
Yup, I didn’t know what I was thinking ten years ago.
Anyway, what shall we have on a rainy day? Here it is.
Ha-Long-Style Fried Squid Paste (Chả mực Hạ Long)
2 lbs squid (separate bodies and tentacles)
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground pepper
3 garlic cloves (coarsely chopped)
1 shallot (coarsely chopped)
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Coarsely chop the squid bodies and marinate with (1).
- Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Coarsely chop the tentacles and set aside.
- Use a food processor to grind the mixture in step (3) until it becomes a paste.
- Add the chopped tentacles, and grind a minute or two.
- In a deep skillet, heat canola oil under medium heat.
- Use a spoon to scour the squid paste into a ball.
- Drop the squid balls into the hot oil, and use the back of the spoon to flatten the balls.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Serve with steamed white rice.