Oh noooooooooooo!! The entire kitchen has been taken over by the ferocious dinosaurs. Even the coffee machine cannot escape!
If you see me walking around like a zombie without caffeine today, you know why!
Rice noodle bowl with stir-fried beef (Bún bò xào)
(Adapted from LA Times)
For the stir-fried beef:
1 lb flank steak (thinly sliced)
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 small yellow (thinly sliced)
3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 tbs canola oil
For the dipping sauce:
2/3 cup water
5 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs sugar
Juice of 2-3 limes
1 pinch of salt
Thai chili (thinly sliced, optional)
4 bunches of dried rice vermicelli (cooked)
1/2 lettuce head (thinly sliced)
1/4 lb bean sprouts
1 English cucumber (cut into matchsticks)
1/2 cup chopped herbs (cilantro, mint, Thai basil, Vietnamese balm – kinh giới, red perilla – tía tô)
Roasted unsalted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
- Marinated beef with fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, sugar, cornstarch, and ground pepper. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- For the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients together and set aside.
- Divide rice vermicelli, lettuce, bean sprout, cucumber and herbs into 4 bowls.
- Before serving, heat 2 tbs canola oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add sliced onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the marinated beef. Stir-fry until cooked.
- Layer some beef slices on the noodle bowl. Sprinkle fried shallots and chopped peanuts. Serve with dipping sauce.