Have a fantastic 2017, everyone!
As usual, we partied hard this year. Our theme for the New Year dinner is traveling across Asia and a little detour to Europe for dessert and tea 🙂
- Vietnamese purple cabbage salad with shrimp crackers
- Thai-style mussels
- Japanese black cod, served with sesame leaves tempura and spinach gomaae (recipe below)
- Mix berry fill millefeuille from Jamie Oliver, which turns out to be a disaster. Arg!
- Chocolate macarons
Black cod with miso
(Adapted from Use Real Butter)
For 8 servings
6 tbs mirin
6 tbs sake
1 cup white miso paste
10 tbs sugar
about 3 lbs skin-on cod fillets
- In a small saucepan, boil mirin and sake.
- Add miso paste, and mix until combined.
- Add sugar, and mix until dissolved.
- Pour marinate mixture into a baking dish, and let cool completely.
- Place cod fillets on baking dish, coat each piece with miso marinate.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, preferably 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Drain fish from marinate.
- Heat oil in a skillet, sear cod fillets on both sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.