You may not have noticed, but I’m actually blond. At least, that’s what my boy sees me (portrait of mommy)…
Orange pound cake
(Adapted from Use Real Butter)
1 tbs butter (to grease pan)
255 g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
170 g butter (softens)
250 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 oranges (zest and about 1 cup juice, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
100 g confectioner’s sugar
1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9″x5″ loaf pan with parcement paper.
- Grease butter on all sides.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat on medium speed butter and sugar until fluffy and pale.
- Add one egg at a time. Continue to beat on medium speed.
- Add vanilla extract and orange zest.
- On low speed, add one third of flour mixture and 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Add the second third of flour mixture and 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes.
- Cool the cake in its pan for 10 minutes before turning it to cool on rack.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup orange juice with confectioner’s sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Brush the orange glaze on top and all sides of the cake.
- Let cool completely before serving, about 2 hours.