Grandpa is eating instant noodles.
5-year-old: Grandpa, I want to try.
Grandpa (still eating): Okay, I’ll save you some.
5-year-old: Sure, but please stop eating.
Pork and eggs simmered in caramel sauce
(Recipe from grandpa)
1 lb pork belly with skin (cut into 1″ pieces)
1 lb pork butt with skin (cut into 1″ pieces)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbs canola oil
2 shallots (sliced)
4 tbs caramel sauce (see recipe below)
2 tbs soy sauce (optional)
1 cup water
6 boiled eggs (peeled)
Fish sauce (to taste)
- In a bowl, marinate pork with 2 tsp salt + 1 tsp pepper.
- In a medium pot, add 2 tbs canola oil under medium heat.
- Add sliced shallot, cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add marinated pork, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 tbs caramel sauce, mix well.
- Season with 2 tbs soy sauce.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Add eggs, and covered the pot, until boiled.
- Add fish sauce to taste.
- Turn to low heat, uncover, and cook for another 2 hours.
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
- Prepare a large bowl with cold water.
- In a saucepan, add 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar.
- Stir and cook under medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Cook until color turns amber, about 15 minutes.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, watch closely until the caramel is the color of black coffee.
- Immediately place the pan in cold water bowl to stop the cooking.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the caramel.
- Reheat until the caramel dissolves into the water.
- Store in a glass jar.