We call you when dinner is ready, mom!
Beef in vinegar hotpot (Bo nhung dam)
(Adapted from The Ravenous Couple)
1 liter coconut water
1 cup rice vinegar
2 tbs sugar
1 onion (thinly sliced)
2 stalks of lemongrass (bruised)
1/8 pineapple (chopped)
2 tbs canola oil
4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 shallot (thinly sliced)
2 lbs rib-eye, sirloin, or flank (thinly sliced)
Anchovy dipping sauce:
1 bottle of anchovy fish sauce (I use Que Huong brand)
1/8 pineapple (finely chopped)
1 tsp sugar
1-2 Thai chilies (optional)
2 green bananas (sliced and soaked in iced vinegar water)
1 starfruit (thinly sliced)
3/4 pineapple (sliced)
2 English cucumbers (sliced)
Fresh vegetable (lettuce, mint, perilla, etc.)
To make broth:
- In a large stockpot, combine coconut water, vinegar, sugar, onion, lemongrass, and pineapple. Bring to boil.
- In a small skillet, heat canola oil and fry garlic and shallots until fragrant.
- Add fried garlic and shallots to the broth. Set aside.
To make dipping sauce:
- Use a handheld blender to process pineapple until smooth.
- In a saucepan, combine blended pineapple with anchovy fish sauce. Bring to simmer.
- Add sugar and chilies (if using). Set aside.
- Place a hotpot in the center of a dining table and bring to boil.
- Arrange plates of beef, sliced green bananas, sliced starfruit, sliced pineapple, sliced cucumber, and fresh vegetable around the hotpot.
- To serve, dip a slice of beef into the boiling broth and roll it on a rice paper with fruits and vegetable. Dip in anchovy fish sauce.